Thursday, April 7, 2016

Waiting by Kevin Henkes



http://www.kevinhenkes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/waiting-kevin-henkes.jpgI just picked up Waiting by Kevin Henkes…such sweetness wrapped up in the hardbound covering of a picture book.  I am so glad that it is now added to the collection of picture books on my shelves.  Of course, I initially picked it up while perusing the bookstore because I saw the author’s name.  He’s one of my favorites (Yes, I say that about a lot of authors; I have many favorites.)!  You all know him.  He is the author of one of your favorites too, Chrysanthemum.  He is that mice-loving author of Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse; Julius, the Baby of the World; Wimberly Worried; and more.  He is also the author of books without mice, like the Caldecott winning Kitten’s First Full Moon.  And, he even won Newbery honors for his chapter books The Year of Billy Miller and Olive’s Ocean.  Now you know why I had to pick up Waiting when I saw it for the first time. 

Because Henkes is both author and illustrator, I happily get to write about both in this blog.  The soft pastels of the illustrations match the softness of the story.  They are a perfect partnership.  From the simple setting of a paned window to the simple concept of waiting, readers meet five friends who spend their time on the windowsill, side by side, each simultaneously waiting for something special, or maybe nothing particular at all.  The charming faces of the pig, the owl, the dog, the rabbit, and the bear are just so inviting.  It has a charm that is felt in the simplicity of the words as well.

For the five main characters, days come and go, things come and go (and sometimes do not come back), and they just wait, content to be beside one another.  Then, one day a cat comes.  They are curious; she does not seem to be waiting.  Yet, she is waiting for something very special.  And, she doubles the joy of who they are as friends on the windowsill.

Now, I too am waiting.  I am waiting to share this book with others.  You, reader, are my first.  But, I am waiting to read this book with preschool-aged children.  This book will make a super sweet read aloud, I am sure.  So, now, I am also waiting for you to read it with your students.  I can imagine the quiet room as a teacher softly whispers the story to the students.  I can imagine the wonder of the little eyes as they take in the beautiful colors of the illustrations and the sweet faces of the animal friends.  I can hear the concern in the voices of the students as they ponder the elephant’s situation.  I can feel the warmth of the hearts in the room as they realize that friends are always there for each other, even when they are waiting for something different.  I love this sweet picture book, and I cannot wait for you to share it with your students.  I will be waiting to hear how you and your students share your time together with this special book.

Waiting, by Kevin Henkes, 32 pages from Greenwillow Books of Harper Collins (September 1, 2015); ISBN: 978-0-06236843-0
Ideal for Preschool-Grade 2 children (or those of us who just cannot resist a sweet picture book)

No comments:

Post a Comment